View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 12:22 AM

Default 805D3 Stereophile review

I've had 805D3 for about one month now. First stereo system. Includes McIntosh MA5200, Mc MB50 Streamer, and SONOS Connect with Wyred4Sound upgrade, and REL T/9i sub. Cheap interconnects and BlueJeans biwired cable. First week, I thought I might return the 805D3. Treble was painful! I couldn't stand it. The first obvious reason was my bare walls (24x12 foot space). I added some "treatments" to left and right reflection areas and the treble became tolerable on most music except certain recording that have accentuated high frequencies. I also added the REL sub around the second week, which helped fill out the sound. After 100+ hours of new equipment burn in, they sounded pretty good, but I knew something was missing. some tracks were still fatiguing. Fast forward to today. I just received my Wireworld Eclipse 7 speaker cables (not biwired, using stock jumpers). Holy f**k!!!! I swear I teared up when I heard the first few tracks of Oscar Peterson (came up randomly in shuffle). I'm too new to this hobby to know how to describe it, but my ears have never heard anything this amazing. I've been playing a variety of genres and the diamond tweeters with the new cables sound completely right. There's a snap/punch that wasn't there before. They sound bigger and wider. The treble on my 805D3's before was like a shot of cheap/bad tequila - it burned and made my face contort in pain. Now, it's like good, quality tequila - smooth, warm, and makes me smile. So based on my recent experience, the 805D3's won't shine straight out of the box, which is probably true for most new equipment. I'm sure you all know this already, but for me, it was a true revelation how every detail counts in order to get the full, true performance out of hifi equipment. I just submitted my order for a full loom of Wireworld cables to replace my cheap interconnects and power cables. Thanks to all of you who participate in these forums for sharing your knowledge and experiences. I've been following you for a while as a guest, and now I hope to contribute so that others will benefit as I have.

edit: Been listening since I got home. In euphoric state from the amazing sound I didn't know could come out of my gear. Taking day off tomorrow. Not sleeping tonight. Never heard any of this music before, the way it sounds now.

edit 2: Did I die today and this is what music sounds like in heaven... or somewhere else?

edit3: I found system synergy on my first try. Like winning the lottery.

Last edited by gsevilla; 02-24-2017 at 03:44 AM.