View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 01:09 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I’ve read it doesn’t really matter about Ethernet cables because all it has to do is deliver packets of information which is one way (usb is two way) and timing doesn’t matter as much.
Hi, David. While that is a view held by many IT professionals, it does not hold for high-end digital playback with respect to a bistream of a music file. Its doesn't matter for a printer or a computer to have to wait for a fraction of a second to register a pixel value on a print-out or computer display, because, as you say, the digital output in that case IS binary, either a pixel gets printed or displayed or not. But the timing of the packets is absolutely critical for audio. The final output from the bitsteam is not digital 0s and 1s; its analog square waves. This is why its easy to hear differences in Ethernet cables. I can even hear the difference when I reverse the direction of my "directional" AQ Cinnamon Ethernet cable. Another case is when the Ethernet receiver ramps up to request re-sending a dropped packet, this increase in voltage gain and concomitant increase in noise by the receiver is audible.

Hans Beekhuzen has a series of videos about this on his YouTube channels. He's of the view and I am coming to agree with him, that the quality of the signal transmission, the streamer, the streamers clock, and the streamer's power supply is even more important than that of the DAC.

I'd start here: https://youtu.be/n26CMGX_yrk
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 05-09-2019 at 01:32 PM.