View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ421291 View Post
Had an issue with my Tannoy Canterburys. We had new carpet installed recently (solution dyed nylon as I am a bad asthmatic & cannot have wool carpet) that is quite thick, so the weight of the big 15" Tannoy Drivers & their ALNICO Magnets means that the front of the speaker sinks into the carpet- up to 10 degrees so that the drivers direct the sound downwards- its so bad that sometimes it sounds as if the bass player is playing under the concrete floor pad. I had to move them slightly all the time to make them level, but after a few days they sink into the carpet again- really mucks up the soundstage. I have seen other Canterburys sitting on wooden plinths, but decided to try Granite Plinths with big spikes to see if they solved the issue. A fellow audiophile out in Titirangi (West Auckland) makes Granite Plinths & commissioned him to make a pairfor me. Picked them up on Saturday- VERY heavy. Set them up & took a listen- amazing difference! First off, the speakers were LOUDER- previously head banging volume was 70 on my McIntosh C2300, now 60 is loud enough. The sound stage returned to making sense- in fact it was subjectively wider- and no more bass player under the concrete pad. But the biggest difference was the subjective increase in bass response- more, better defined & timing show big improvements. Treble detail also showed a big improvement- probably due to both the tweeters now pointing ahead, not down, and the fact that the speaker is also lifted approx. 50mm higher due to the thickness of the plinth. They also look good. I can see why Sonus Faber uses heavy plinths for some of there speakers, the improvement is astounding. Strongly recommended for any floor standing Tannoy speaker.
Now you just need Stillpoints between Tannoys and granite plinths...
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM