View Single Post
Old 04-28-2018, 08:05 PM

I'm not going to say get different subs -- you own these already. The question is, how to get the best out of them?

Have you tried them in sealed mode? That tends to even out the low bass.

Have you measured frequency response at the listening position and adjusted the subs' EQ accordingly, especially to lower any peaks?

Have you tried radically different positions for the subs? In many rooms, the best position for subs is near the listening chairs or behind them.

Your installer may be right about bass traps. I don't know your room, but in general bass trapping helps a lot with bass definition. It's not often appreciated that what bass traps do, mostly, is lower decay (reverberation) time, rather than affect frequency response. Fat bass traps in the corners (e.g., GIK soffit traps) might help considerably. For very low frequencies, you need thickness, unless you are buying tuned traps ($$$) of some kind.

And I agree with others that high-passing the main speakers may be an improvement. But since that means buying more electronics, try those other things first (unless you already have means for high-passing the mains).

Unless you have money to burn, I would try all those things before spending on Shunyata-grade AC conditioning. What you need now is to invest time, thought, and effort, and a little money for acoustics, IMO.

HTH

Last edited by Mike-48; 04-28-2018 at 08:10 PM.