View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 06:14 PM

Default Contemplating a Lamm preamp...

I've got the bug to try a Lamm preamp. I've previously dismissed them because of the dual-mono volume control and lack of remote, but at the moment I seem to be willing to try and get past that.

First a bit of history: after struggling for 3 years trying to get good 2 channel music in a dedicated, sound proofed media room and going through tons of equipment (speakers, preamps, amps, DACs, etc) I moved my system upstairs to my family room and finally got what I would call high fidelity sound.

I use Wilson Sashas, Lamm M1.2 Reference amplifiers, PAD cabling and currently using two preamps: a Pass XP-10 and a Joule LA-150 SE.

I am very sensitive to glare or harshness of any kind. It was very bad in my media room (perhaps due to low ceilings, not quite sure). The Pass is very smooth in the highs, more so than my Joule. Even in my family room the Joule can distract me with what sounds to my ears like distortion in the upper mids/low treble. Apart from that, I just love the body, depth and texture of the Joule. The Pass, being solid state, doesn't have the body and depth, but it is oh-so-clean and elegant sounding and throws a spacious soundstage - it's a real bargain preamp in my opinion.

It's sort of nice being able to switch between the two preamps, but I do wonder if it's possible to get more of the pros of each in one chassis...

I'm curious about Lamm - not just for synergy with my amps, but because it's a hybrid (at least the L2 Reference is, not sure about other models). Having owned other tube pre's (BAT REX, Cary SLP-05, Audio Valve Eclipse) I'm used to equating tubes with body and soundstage depth. Is the Lamm like this as well? How clean are the highs?

I'm also wondering what typical used prices are for Lamm preamps. If anyone has any info that they are willing to share, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.