Thread: 3D arms
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 12:12 AM

Mine is the first gen which does not have adjustable side weights. I do have a new gen one which also gave me problem. The counter weight was just too tight a fit. Had to get dealer to ask for a new one. New one came after many months but is very loose with fairly big gap. It should be friction fit but is it not. Anyway, I have mounted the new arm & taken down this 1st gen arm.

The VTA looks high because the headshell has a droop. Added 0.3g to the tracking force to the 2.0g to become 2.3g. No wonder it sounded off a little dull & non dynamic. I thought I was being anal after months of lay off due to an ear issue in one ear until an acquaintance pointed out the issue.

Anyway, I have asked my dealer to demand for a new arm but not to be sponsored by the dealer (my dealer is nice like that) but rather the factory.

BTW, the VPI HRX + 3D arm + Koetsu = very very nice sound. So need to push through the support issue to continue with this setup

Source 2 - Avid Acutus SP reference + Thales Reference tone arm + Benz Micro LPS (DS Audio Master 1 broken tip repaired but cost me USD2k. Still having issues - channel imbalance - back to dealer. However, channel issues not withstanding, sounded very very nice. Need to get it back soonest)

Source 3 - DCS Vivaldi + Antelope reference clock or Cybershaft Op18 (not floating my boat so far)

Source 5 - ROON ROCK with Aurender W20 as NAS & 2 units of SOTM switch with 10M input (the new frontier but still cannot beat CD for now) - ROON endpoint - Vivaldi upsampler

Amplification - Naim Statement

Speakers - ProAc Carbon 8 + JL FM113 x2 (replacement purchased - Stella Utopia EVO but due to lockdown, could be a year's wait)

Purepower 2000 x 2 (&$@#% but
sounds nice)

Shunyata Denali X 2