View Single Post
Old 03-10-2020, 08:26 AM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeoz View Post
Thanks for the advice. I may be misunderstanding the point but in my case the sub supplements the main speakers (which will continue to be used full range). Therefore if there was a bump at say 60hz increasing the crossover on the sub would simply reinforce that bump ?

Regarding the roll off point wouldn't that be determined by the speaker more than the room. I appreciate there can be peaks and nulls but I would have thought that a sub is a fairly blunt instrument - wouldn't room treatment (bass traps etc) be a better solution to deal with that kind of issue ?

Yes. If you have already decided to run your mains full range and/or do not have a crossover then the question is only how high can you set the sub before it overlaps too much.

The crossover allows you to control the low and high pass filters among other controls and makes blending your sub easier. It also allows the sub to be less of the blunt instrument you mentioned.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack