View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Music Provides Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiezaffa View Post
Most likely this question stems from my lack of engineering and electrical education.
I own a Luxman 507u rated at 200 watts into my 4ohm SF Cremona M speakers.
Lets say the lowest setting on my volume knob is equal to 1 (far left), the arrow pointing straight up is 6 (50%) and full volume is 10 (far right).
The Luxman delivers full, rich and crystal clear sound up to number 4. After that, the mid range begins to distort and the sounds becomes intolerable.
The decibel level at #4 is quite loud but with certain types of rock music, I would like to have a bit more “oomph”
I am baffled as to why a new $7000 integrated amplifier would not be able to deliver stable power to at least the 50% mark of my total volume range.
I also notice that as I increase the volume during a song, a “crackling” sound is heard.
Am I missing something
I agree with Masterlu: you're clipping the amplifier. I wouldn't push it, or you might damage your speakers.

How far one can turn the volume knob depends on many different variables (the load presented by the speakers, the sensitivity of the speakers, the source's output characteristics, the music being played, etc.).

I bet you can turn it up higher than 6 on classical albums that are recorded to be dynamic; not compressed with levels almost always maxed-out like a lot of rock music.

I doubt there is anything wrong with your amplifier, you simply need more power for your system: moderately powered integrated amplifiers might not be for you.

Time for separates for you, I'm afraid.

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.