View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
What happens if you set the xovers to 30 and set the sub/sat balance to all sat? Does it ‘recover’? Eg, keep the cr1 inline but have all/most of the signal go to your MC452 and fronts.

I don’t want to screw with my hard-to-find settings or I would try it.
My setup, that is level matching and phase alignment are done just as you did yours if you tuned phase to the null using Ober's approach. To achieve unity gain (for best S/N, headroom and for everything to clip at the same time) I have to add an apparent 4 dB of gain (as measured by the amp's VU meter). As you'll understand since you have one, I do this via the sub/sat level control. Once I've achieved unity gain, I just go ahead and do the level and phase adjustments the same way you do.

I ended up settling on 110Hz (at least temporarily) as my crossover point as well, although I'm going to experiment some more with that. I've gotten pretty fast at getting it dialed in. It takes more time too reverse polarity and power down the alternate side than it does for me to find the null by setting level and phase so I'm not afraid of playing around. The only real issue is when to run tone (Barry's CD)....my wife hates it! .

I was just wondering if anybody else had found this issue or if it's unique to my rig. To be honest, the noise floor hasn't been audibly disturbed by this so as a practical matter it's not a big deal but it has puzzled me as I'd assume the CR1 wouldn't have a noticeable insertion loss (or as in your case, gain). And maybe it shouldn't. It's puzzling.

Last edited by Pampero; 01-07-2018 at 09:34 PM.