View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
You've really touched on a very important aspect, you almost need a few different combinations to enjoy your music fully, especially the wider ranging your taste. Got a pair of SET monos here that will go in the system as soon as pics are shot. Should be fun.
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the comment. I am glad that someone with 100x the experience I have agrees with this conclusion. I tried, REALLY TRIED, to keep things simple, but I inevitably noticed changes in my listening patterns and selection. The more resolving the system, the more reluctant I was to bring out lower quality recordings.

The clincher was when I recently listened to vintage Billie Holiday on my 1960 Fisher receiver. It sounded A M A Z I N G: smooth, luscious - DELICIOUS. I played the very recording on the C220->MC501s and it sounded dry and fatiguing. The more resolving and faster system was just not right for the recording. The extended frequency range highlighted the highs which sounded harsh.

The reverse holds true. The Dark Side of the Moon sounded magnificent with the McIntosh gear and slow and dull on the old Fisher.

That day I realized that there is no one-size-fits-all-recordings system - at least for my ears.

I know a lot of people will disagress. I've hear many times "A great system sounds great with all recordings."

Thank you for not making me feel even more of an audiophile outcast than I am .

Alberto