View Single Post
Old 10-29-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
The Macan and the Cayenne may be the number 1 and 2 top selling Porsche vehicles but it was the Boxster that saved the brand from financial ruin in the 90’s. The Boxster was not a betrayal of the brand philosophy and focus. It was very much a Porsche with similar performance to the 911 but with a price tag that many more could afford to bring a Porsche home.
That's a great example... I am a Porsche fanatic, and for me the only true Porsche is the 911, but I understand that the other cars are what keep the company financially afloat, and their sharing a large parts bin with VW/Audi is forgiven to that extent... so long as they don't molest the 911.

I'd say as a relatively new arrival to McIntosh, but having lusted after the brand for years and been keeping up with their products, that it does feel a bit like the brand is being watered down these days.. even the car audio choice seems like a step down in terms of prestige ... I mean my car (yes it's a 911) comes with a very pricy Burmester stereo system that sounds pretty darn good for a car stereo but it does no justice to the true Burmester home audio equipment and thus drops the overall perceived quality of the brand to my eye..

I would prefer McIntosh to remain focused on their high end, and no compromise in that area, but also provide a mid range, and lower end, so long as that lower end is still high end relative to what you can get from the big box store.