View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 11:49 AM

The turntable being too close to the speakers definitely impacted the sound. We had the record player and the television on the credenza. The credenza is not large enough comfortably to support both, so the TV was off center to make room for the turntable, and the turntable was on the left side of the credenza, much too close to the left channel speaker.

Yesterday evening we decided simply to remove the television. This allowed us to put the record player in the center of the credenza, far away from either speaker. This was a huge improvement. The system is clear as a bell as far as the amp can push it.

In keeping with Rex's advice, we also measured the tracking force. Recommended is 2.3 grams, and it was at 3 grams. I adjusted it back to 2.3.

Finally, we adjusted the speaker positions for better balance.

The result of all these efforts? The sound is amazing - vastly more detailed and dynamic than before, and no comparison to at all to our old speakers. I have no doubt further isolation will improve the low level resolution in the turntable even further. The LP sound is so rewarding now that I have trouble picturing how it could improve, but with these speakers, who knows?

CDs are a joy. I had all but stopped listening to CDs because they tended to sound flat, to me. This I attributed (mistakenly, it seems) to CDs generally being poorly recorded and lacking dynamics. Now I am reliving my affair with the CD collection and enjoying every minute.
l MA7900 Integrated Amp l Sonus Faber Concerto Speakers l Clearaudio Performance Turntable w/Ortofon Credenza Cartridge l Rega Saturn CD Player l Marantz Tuner l PlayStation-4 l Transparent MM2 Cables & Power l

Last edited by BWB75; 08-11-2017 at 01:10 PM.