View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 12:47 AM

Location: Auckland New Zealand, way down in the South Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post

I see the RS232 port on the rear apron. This is most likely where the software is initially downloaded to the preamp and where software updates would be downloaded to the preamp. I remember having to update my MR88 tuner software via its RS232 port. I had to use an old Windows XP laptop to get it done. Lucky for me I still have an XP laptop in the closet with an RS232 port and a couple old cables still hanging around.
I would assume this is the same as the C48/50.

The RS232 port is not where the updates are loaded onto the pre-amp....

Its all done though the USB using a updater program you have to get from McIntosh, which also has the firmware/USB audio update within it...
Two different applications are used, one for firmware and one for USB audio.

You also have to assess a particular part of the menu in the pre-amp to perform this operation.

It is all designed now to work with Windows 7.

I have done firmware and USB audio updates on my C48, its pretty straight forward, but McIntosh recommend having a dealer do it, they only helped me out because I am way down in New Zealand with no dealer, I had Mike from AC put me in touch with Mr Hinton at McIntosh, he explained there would be no accountability on McIntosh's part if I stuffed it up.....
If you make a mistake with the firmware, or you lose power during the process, you can brick the unit (turn it into a doorstop)....Which is why its not really a user operation.
As part of my job as an audio systems engineer, I am used to doing this sort of thing, so I was comfortable doing it.....

In the case of this C2500, I would be doing a factory reset on it.....Has this been done?
This is the first thing I would try, maybe during the brownout somehow during the boot up cycle the unit corrupted itself, this would be remedied by a factory reset....

There is no state that the pre-amp could go into where it is looking for an update or anything like that.....