View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 07:54 PM
Listener in Training

Our Amati Futuras are about three months old. When we got back into the hobby in '08 (having had Infinity RS4s since late 1983), I couldn't find a SF dealer here. We went back and forth over the B&W 802Ds and Wilson Sophia back then, and settled on the B&W, but liking both for different reasons. A bit after buying our B&W 802Ds, a dealer in town had SF briefly, and we did really enjoy the Cremonas, but were not really in the market.

When we were looking at the McIntosh C2500 preamp last fall, the dealer had a pair of AFs to demo with the C2500. We listened and fell in love with the combination of "sweetness" and detail, and pretty much made up our minds in the course of an afternoon.

So this time around, we didn't demo a whole gamut of speakers, but fell in love with the AFs, and admire their elegant lines as well, which for me adds to the experience.

As I write this, I'm cranking Sweet Emotion at advanced volumes, and don't feel they lack with rock, but that said, they do get magical with classical pieces like Serenade for Strings or Violin Concerto in D by Tchaikovsky, and jazz: Midnight Sugar by Tsuyoshi Yamamoto on 45 RPM LP is like having that ensemble in the room, to cite just a few tracks that hit home.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable