Thread: Accuphase DC-37
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Anyone have any experience using DC-37 or DG-58 as a preamp?
I am now using the DG-58 directly connected to the power amplifier via XLR.

Aside from the fact that if you want to change level on the DG-58 you have to navigate in the menu (also possible to do by remote if you have 20/20 eyesight ), is working perfectly fine. It has enough voltage and correct impedance to easily drive a power amp and the DAC section is very good.

As nvp as said in another tread, with correct source and a transparent power amplifier sometimes preampless way is somewhat better if the preamp is not really über top (à la nvp 3800 ).
Now, I really don't know exactly how one quantifies/measures this power amp "transparency", but if it's a mix of THD, Damping and SNR, then my old P-700 should do the trick and I can skip a preamp, even if a 2420 or 2820 would be A) Beautiful B) much better for volume control friendliness.

Then again, I think that the changes that the DG-58 can apply on the audio signal (and make it better) are at least an order of magnitude more noticeable to human ears than the presence or not of a preamplifier or the differences between two very good DACS or the difference between two good power amps at the same level. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited by Mattia; 03-18-2015 at 07:15 AM.