View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 09:07 PM

Default Typhon QR vs Non-QR

I received my Typhon QR a bit over a week ago. Comparing it to my Typhon I think that the low noise-floor virtues I originally heard adding the Typhon to my system are even more apparent with the series-connected Typhon QR (TQR for short): better delineation of low-level details, not only in the amplitude or frequency realm — micro- and macro-dynamic swing, quieter between note silence, faint details less obscured, better sense of ambience and air — but also things I ascribe to the timing domain — quicker transient leading edges, faster settling of notes, enhanced depth and sense of space and image definition.

Additively, each of these improvements result in a sense of ease, naturalness, and relaxed realism that I think is very noticeable and addictive.

Having now heard the TQR in my system I wouldn’t want to go back.

Putting the parallel-connected Typhon back in the system is just a little more icing on the cake.

FWIW, I’m using a Sigma NR to connect from wall to TQR and I agree with the previous post that the Sigma NR sounds a more neutral and transparent power lead than the excellent Sigma HC, which is by no means objectionably colored and remains a great power cord. I’d add that the TQR seems to follow along the same lines — a bit more neutral and transparent and a tad less warm than the original Typhon.

Hope this proves useful to those considering a Typhon QR.

Steve Z

D’Agostino Momentum M400 amps, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono amp, Wilson Audio Alexx, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofer stacks.

Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon QR, Typhon. Shunyata Sigma NR & NR v2 cords and cables, Stillpoints ESS grid system rack, Stillpoint Ultras, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots of music!