View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default Symposium Rollerblock Jr

I received a set of three Symposium Rollerblock Jr.'s today. They were loaned to me to audition under my McIntosh MCD500. When I opened the box, and unpacked the six black aluminum alloy cups and three chrome steel balls I have to admit they are not very impressive looking. They actually look like little metal toys. I read the literature that came with the RBJ's, and got the whole spiel on their development, materials, and claims of sonic improvement. Naturally, Symposium would like to see their products installed under ever single component you own including speakers. After reading their long winded material I was thinking I could probably achieve sonic improvement by placing them under the feet on my refrigerator.

OK, I placed the three Rollerball Jr.'s under my MCD500, one in the center of the back of the chassis, and one on each side of the front of the chassis. When sitting on the Rollerblock Jr.'s the MCD500's factory feet are lifted approximately 1/4" off the rack shelf. If you touch the MCD500, like press the play button or drawer close button, the player wiggles on the rollerballs in the cups, but settles down in a moment. I am not exactly fond of this, but I can adjust to it.

To audition the Rollerblock Jr.'s I used two CD's I am completely familiar with, and play often, Brian Bromberg - Choices, and Liz Story with Joel Di Bartolo. To begin the audition I listened to track one from Brian Bromberg, "Never Give Up", then installed the Rollerblock Jr.'s, and listened to the same track again. Then I removed the RBJ's, and played the track a third time. I repeated the same process with Liz Story, "The Very Thought Of You". I played the track without Rollerballs Jr.'s, then installed them under the MCD500, played the track again, then removed the RBJ's, and played the track a third time. Finally, I reinstalled the Rollerblock Jr.'s under the MCD500 again, and listened to the entire Brian Bromberg - Choices CD.

Without the Rollerblock Jr.'s under my MCD500, my sound system has a very resolving, detailed, transparent, and dynamic audio presentation. The sound system is quite amazing. With the Rollerblock Jr.'s installed under the MCD500, to my amazement the resolution was improved. It wasn't a huge leap into virgin territory by any stretch of the imagination, but what I did notice was an improvement in the micro details. The leading edge sounds from guitar strings, piano strings, cymbals and other percussion instruments as they were tapped or struck sounded slightly clearer, with a minute improvement in 3 dimensionality within the sound stage. There was also a scanty degree of additional solidity to Brian Bromberg's electric and acoustic bass notes. They were not really any deeper sounding, but best described as thicker, with the vibration of the strings seeming to enjoy a greater freedom of movement in the air. The same added resolution came to Liz Story's piano performance. To use an analogy, it's like watching 1080i, then flipping a switch to immediately see 1080p. Both are marvelous, but the improved resolution is apparent, and pleasurable. That's how it was with the beautiful piano of Liz Story. Her individual notes and full chords seemed to glow with a clarity that was infinitesimally better focused with the Rollerball Jr.'s under the MCD500, than when removed.

Had I never been exposed to the Rollerblock Jr.'s, I would not be thinking that my system sounded anything but absolutely amazing, and I would have never missed the experience. Since I have now auditioned the Rollerblock Jr.'s in my system, and have experienced the ever so slight advance in transparency, I now plan to keep the three piece set of Rollerblock Jr.'s, and will order at least one more pair to install under my MS750. I did not audition the RBJ's under the MS750 today for the simple reason that I got tired of installing, removing, and reinstalling them during the audition. Still, I feel comfortable ordering a second set for the MS750 after having experienced what I heard today.

In conclusion, were I not already enjoying a highly revealing, detailed and ultra clean sounding audio system I might not have been able to zero in on the differences I heard with the Rollerblock Jr.'s in place. The improvements were not dramatic, in fact they were diminutive compared to other things I have done with my sound system, but the enhancements I am hearing are real. For the price of the Rollerblock Jr.'s, they are worth pursuing for that last decimal of sonic bliss we are seeking.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 11-17-2013 at 09:26 PM.