Thread: The new Contour
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 06:07 AM

Default The new Contour

I had the pleasure of listening to the new Contour 30 this weekend, albeit in a store but it was still a great experience. They've really improved upon everything in the Contour 3.4. I went in thinking it'd be a slight improvement, but I was wrong. I was told they had nothing in common with their predecessors except the name. Not a single screw was reused.

Comparing the old with the new I find the 3.4s somewhat lacking in the mids, but the Contour 30 had no issues there. It sounded very neutral across the board, with a hint of that signature warmness Dynaudio are known for. I was there for the better part of an hour and a half and felt no listening fatigue, even though we played at moderate to extreme levels. The meters on the McIntosh MA8000 used for the demo often went up to 300W during the demo, but not once did the 30s sound compressed or distorted.

Pictures don't do them justice, the new curved cabinets are quite beautiful in person. I can't afford them right now, but I'd jump at the chance to own a pair even though I have the 3.4 LEs at home.

Some crappy snapshots I took with my iPhone.