View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 02:06 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWM View Post
Hello All. I have Alexia 1's that replaced my Sophia 2's last year and I would like to get some thoughts and opinions on my associated gear. My room is dedicated not shared, it is 13.5 wide and 22 in length the ceiling is open rafter that is 11 at the peak. The room acoustics have been designed and treated by Vicoustics.
Most of my gear revolved around the Sophia's, but I have purchased some new gear last year.

Amp- Classe CA 2200
Pre Amp- Audio Research Ref 3 (Great Northern Sounds Reference Mod)
Dac- Ayre QX-5 Twenty (new)
Network Player- Melco HA-N1Z (new)
Power Cond- Shunyata Denali (new)
Speaker Cable- Siltech LS-188 G5 mk2/SATT
Interconnects- Audio Quest Sky XLR and Enkline proto type XLR
Power Cords- Shunyata Alpha (new)
USB Cable- Transparent Premium (new)
Rack- Core Audio Design
Vibration Control- Symposium Acoustics: Platforms - Shelves - Roller Blocks

Non Audiophile friends that hear the system say it sounds great! and it does, but like most audiophiles I want to improve the SQ. I know that the Ref 3 and cables are getting old. I have always questioned the Classe being a 5k amp - driving speakers such as the Alexia.

Any suggestions would be great. I would mention that I am not able to drop 40 or 50k on an amp (I wish) I would be in a more modest market!

Thanks.
Of all the relationships between gear, relationships through which synergy is found, the amp-speaker relationship is perhaps the most important. The right amp with the right speaker is one of the foundation pillars of a quality system with high enjoyment. Most worthwhile speaker reviews don't talk about preamps, they talk about amplifiers.

You've got the speaker. From what is in your list, you need a good amp. Once both are in place, build out from there. If you can't afford to put some real money into an amp, don't go short term gratification, wait until you can or you'll not get from the Alexia its full capabilities. I'm vaguely recalling Atkinson, in his Stereophile review of the Alexia 1, liked the Classé CTM-600 monoblocks and the Lamm M1.2 monoblocks. Martin Collums in HiFi Critic had excellent coverage of the speaker - another one worth reading.