View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Dave... you are correct; Accuphase will not repair Grey Market gear period. About a year ago, I was contacted by someone that followed instructions found on the Internet on how to change the jumpers on his DP-900/DP-901 combo to set them to operate on US 120VAC.

Unfortunately for him, both units then got bricked. Last I heard he has still not found a competent service center willing to undertake the repair. Service manuals are not provided even to authorized dealers.
Yup, warranty and repairs would be a big issue for such an expensive piece of equipment. In Hong Kong (where I am), people buying grey market Accuphase tend to ship them back to Japan for repairs, which is still a lot of trouble, but I guess it's less of a journey than from NA and EU, and Hong Kong generally tends to have less issues with customs and duties. The jumper-voltage change thing apparently works for almost all Accuphase gear if you know how to do it (there are "reputable" grey market dealers here(if there's such a thing) who do such conversion for customers), but it is still a great risk if you DIY and mess up. As such, I've never had the guts to go for grey market stuff (like my Accuphase and Esoteric), but I do pick up the odd accessory and cable from Japan from time to time and enjoy the pricing difference.