Thread: New Classic 1
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2016, 07:47 PM

I loosen the counterweight just loose enough to be able to rotate it and have it stay in that position. Place an old flat record on the platter, cue the tonearm over the center of the record, place the thin metal bar that comes with the TT in the groove on the headshell so half is on each side, lower the tonearm onto the record, use an index card and mark the height from the record to the metal bar, now check the other side of the metal bar to see if it is the same height, if not turn the counterweight slightly to make both sides the same height. You will need to make the counterweight snug so it stays where you put it. Now you need to repeat this procedure quite a few times to get it just right. I find when I twist the counterweight that I tend to move it in and out slightly which messes up the VTF so I need to make many fine adjustments to get it just right. The Soundsmith counterintuitive makes these adjustments much easier but if you can't move it forward enough like me, you can't use it. Sorry my description isn't that clear. Perhaps someone else can state the steps clearer. It is a PITA to do but it sounds great when you are done.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Everest, Altaira