View Single Post
Old 12-27-2016, 01:01 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

As I said previously, I didn't much like the Peak Design strap, and never particularly liked sling straps in general, but I have used (and was actually quite fond of) a BlackRapid Cross Shot Breathe Camera Strap. The Black Rapid straps have a extremely grippy shoulder pad, and are comfortable to wear across the body and easy to manipulate a camera. Black Rapid does offer straps with "extreme sport" retainers to minimize camera swing if that is a challenge.
As for the Peak Design strap, it is the same width for its full length, all the way down to the camera. I personally think it is too wide and prefer straps that are wide over the shoulder (or have a long shoulder pad) and taper down for the last few inches before attaching to the camera. I don't like the feel of wide straps in my hand when I'm shooting.
I guess my main objection to any sling strap is that they are just "too much strap" to fit in my "gadget" bag. I might use this type of strap on a big Nikon or Canon; but probably not on a small mirrorless camera.

I do like the Gordy's straps for small cameras and the Domke straps for larger. (but still like the Footprint straps best for my Fuji's.) I currently also use both Gordy's and Domke straps.

The man of many words, Ken Rockwell, likes and apparently uses Leica straps, and they are quite nice, but they will severely scratch the finish on Fuji cameras. The plastic collar rubs the area above the strap lugs and will do significant damage. Mr. Rockwell says that he uses electrical tape to cover the area - but that would look pretty crappy on a silver body. I do speak from personal experience here.

Most of the time, I carry my camera in my right hand and wrap it's smaller strap around my wrist and forearm. Very secure, almost theft proof, extremely user friendly and easy to use, and the small strap does wad up and lie comfortably in my camera bag.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .