View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 11:39 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax View Post
I am wondering if any of delays are due to the performance tests of the Yggy both befor and after latest revision in Audio Science Review forum? They have made me double think an immediate possible purchase. You might give them a call. The unforeseen delay and posting of test data pre and post revision align pretty close.

Not that specs are everything. I do like my one piece of Schiit gear I bought in December.
Vmax.......I read the Audio Science Review of the Yggdrasil. Amir makes no mention in his review of how the Yggdrasil sounds, only how it specs out on his graphs. How can someone review a DAC and not listen to it or comment on its audible performance. Avoiding reporting on the sound of a component is typical of the way his reviews are done. I place little stock in his graphs or comments because his measured results are all well below detection thresholds. My faith remains with Mike Moffat and Jason Stoddard's ability to design a remarkable sounding DAC that is an astonishing performer and an incredible value in my book.

I am still completely enamoured with my Schitt Audio Yggdrasil DAC. This past month has found me listening to my living room sound system with the Yggy more than the studio system with the Esoteric K-01X. There is insight in that comment if you will take a moment to dwell on it. The Yggdrasil sounds so good, so much like real music, it is difficult to end a listening session. High-res downloads played from the Aurender N100H music server and the MOON Neo 260D transport through the Yggdrasil DAC are rich, detailed, dynamic, and authentic with an ultra quiet velvet black background. I am not left wanting for anything. This is precisely why I let my ears and brain decide what's good for my audio pleasure, not some bench test results that do not reflect the actual performance. I allow my ears to be my guide.

You said it yourself, specs aren't everything. I remember my original McIntosh MC30 mono tube amplifiers that I purchased back in 1968. The specs were not that spectacular, especially compared to today's standards, but man oh man did those amplifiers sound good. I don't listen to meaningless graphs representing electrical performance below audible detection thresholds. I listen to music. That is all that really matters to me. In my humble opinion, the newest Yggdrasil is a fabulous digital to analog converter that draws me to it like a moth to a flame.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 03-06-2018 at 02:47 PM.