View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by larevoj View Post
Hi Metaphacts, indeed you are the Speaker Whisperer

I have took your advice seriously and managed to fine tune both distance apart and toe-in as well. However, my ears are about 3 to 4 inches below the tweeters and almost aligned with the woofers. I am using the GE for near field listening at about 7ft from the speakers and I find it sounds right when my ears are bought 1 inch off from the tweeters. Has this got to do with the time alignment of both the tweeters and woofers in reference to the listening distance?

If so would it be better to change out my chair to a slightly higher one or play with the speakers rake angle but wouldn't that change the timing?

Many thanks!
Actually the correct spot, assuming the speakers are slightly farther from you than you are from them, is probably below your current listening position. Move your chair out of the way and move your head down until you find the proper tonal balance. It's probably somewhere around the height of the bottom of your seat. That point, wherever it is, is where the timing is correct. Proper rake brings that point to the proper place for your listening position while minimizing both floor and ceiling interaction relative to your ears.