View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
Got a strange idea the other day to try something and don't understand the results and would like anyone who does to help me out with a technical explanation! :-)

I've had my pair of AudioQuest jitterbugs for several months now and got the bright idea tonight to see what effect if any the jitterbug would have on data transfer rates. Thought if it was "cleaning" things up then maybe transfer rates would be affected. Well, when a USB drive is connected to the jitterbug in series and files are copied either way through the jitterbug it takes way longer to sometimes the file copy fails all together. Remove the jitterbug and all is back to normal. Plugging one into another port while the drive is connected directly to the computer seems to have zero effect on data rates and copies as if no jitterbug was connected.

Even more interesting ... copying files from the computer to the drive through the jitterbug when it does work is much slower than going back to the computer. Again ... most often it just fails all together. And yes ... maybe too much free time on my hands! :-)

Using a DSD album so it is a large folder that I'm copying but if there are benefits to the data and USB interface I would have thought things would have at least not gotten any worse. Not trying to start an argument but rather understanding the science behind this. Would be interested if others replicate this little science experiment???
One explanation would be USB 3.0 now being limited to USB 2.0 by the Jitterbug.