View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiezaffa View Post
A friend of mine purchased a new home that has a theatre room in the basement.
Dimensions are 19Lx17Wx8H

He's not an audiophile and therefore doesn't see the value in spending tens of thousands on equipment and cabling.

Id say his budget is $10k.
Home theatre isn't my forte. I'm a 2 channel audio only guy which is why I've come to ask the experts.

Any suggestions on what would work is greatly appreciated.
I can tell you he's putting in a 80in LED (he cant do a projector) and would like a 7.1 setup with speakers that would be wall mounted, not recessed into the walls.

Thanks to all who reply.

A Home Theater System For $10K??

Well, since he's already got a Television (80" LED Television?? I haven't seen such a beast yet.... but I have seen 70" LED Television before... but an 80" Model?? Hmmm..), then he's already ahead of the game as far as the Video Portion of the System goes.

So having said that, he can devote his entire $10K Budget to the Audio and Source Components.

For around $10K, I Like:

Speaker System (Packages -- Fronts, Center and Sides(?) and Rears): Paradigm; Elac; KEF; Definitive Technology; GoldenEar; Canton

Subwoofers: SVS; Velodyne; Sunfire; Definitive Technology

Audio/Video Receiver: Denon; Marantz; Pioneer (Elite); Yamaha (Mid Priced RX-V Series or Advantage Series)

Separates (if you so preferred, but make sure you arrange for a home audition): Emotiva (in some cases, for the price of a Mid-Priced or High-End Audio/Video Receiver, you can have a Preamplifier/Processor and either a 5-Channel (or 7-Channel) Power Amplifier).

Blu-Ray Player: Marantz or Oppo Digital (BDP-103 (at least), but you should consider the newer UDP-203)

Go to your local Audio/Video Dealer Emporium if you can, and audition the Speakers you like with the components that you prefer.

For the Receiver/Electronics, I would look into getting those from a dealer online named "Accessories4Less". I am getting ready to purchase a 2016 Yamaha RX-V481 Audio/Video Receiver from them for $299.00 ($100.00 off of retail from Amazon and Best Buy).

Otherwise, for the Emotiva Gear, you have to contact them directly.

Whatever combo you tend to muster up and put together, you know it will be a good one. It just depends on your preferences, priorities, and your budget.

Good Luck and Happy Listening.

--Charles--

Last edited by chaskelljr1963; 12-28-2016 at 11:44 PM.