View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 10:49 AM

Default How would the Aerial Acoustics 7T compare to Canton Reference 3.2 DC?

I'd like to build a 2-channel system around a McIntosh MC452. I realize it's a little weird to pick the amp before the speakers, but the MC207 I got for my home theater system has made me a McIntosh convert. Plus I've demoed the MC452 (w/802 Diamonds) a couple times and just love it. I did consider the 802 Diamonds, but they just don't go low enough for me. I'd like to avoid a subwoofer, so I've been researching speakers in the $10k price range (used or new) that go down into the mid-20s (Hz).

I wan't planning to start this project until next year, but then I came across a used pair of Canton Reference 3.2 DCs in my area. High-end used stuff like this isn't common here and since the asking price is within my budget, I thought I should give them a listen.

I liked what I heard, but it didn't totally blow me away...but part of that was probably the sub-optimal room. The electronics were also different than what I'm planning. The Cantons were running on a Naim disc player, Audio Research preamp, and Classe Delta M600 monoblocks. Initially I'll use my Oppo BDP-95 as source and preamp going directly into the MC452. Eventually I may get a separate (McIntosh?) preamp.

I don't know if I'd ever get a chance to demo the 7Ts here, so I was curious if anyone who has the 7Ts have had experience with the Cantons and could describe how they'd compare?