View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 03:46 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
Tima,

Great system and setup.

Considering the Aperture panels. Like you, I have a pair of Alexias. In looking at your installation, it would appear the lower panel is up from the floor about 20 inches - is this correct? Also, are panels directly behind the speaker? (Hard to tell with the picture angle)

Thx!
Hi Mike,

From the carpet to the bottom edge of an Aperture on the lower row is about 26-1/2".

The panels are behind the speakers but you need to factor that the speaker is not at a 90-degree angle to the wall.

Let's take the left side speaker and the lower Aperture behind it for our example, the speaker in the photo.

The Alexia is angled front-to-back pointing at the listening position with its rear closer to the side wall than its front.The left rear corner of the Alexia is about 19-1/2" and the left front corner is about 26-1/2" from the side wall.

The left edge of the Aperture is about 28" from the side wall.

The Right rear corner of the Alexia is about 4" in from the left edge of the Aperture panel. The Right front corner of the Alexia is about 15" from the left edge of the Aperture. So the Aperture starts behind the speaker but extends to the right past its front.

There are no hard and fast rules. I tried the outside panels closer to and farther from the side walls. The effect of each panel is rather focused so it was pretty easy to hear the effect of moving them. I tried with panels just in the center and just on the sides but kept coming back to the combination of three across. The wall behind the speakers is 9h x 17w. (I no longer use the panels on the floor in the corners. I could slightly tune the bass between articulation and weight, but I had to come to a 'practical' limit on the number of Apertures to go with.) The net gain in terms of listening satisfaction has been huge. I think five could be a place to start. Three across the wall behind the speakers and one on each side wall at the first reflection points. Room transformation for the price of a nice power cord. ;->