View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post
I also started exploring Mahler with Eliahu Inbal... his reading of the 4th as well as Simon Rattle's take on the reconstruction of the 10th and Bruno Walter/Kathleen Ferrier great Songs of the Earth.
I like Inbal............for a change. As for the #4 and Das Lied, I also like Szell. Also, interesting is the Das Lied with Herrwegh/HMU.

Quote:
Thanks to Tim and Kal I now also have the Fischer 2,4,6, Tilson Thomas 1 and 5 and Bernstein's 5 and also picked up an Alan Gilbert's 9 on my own. Can only confirm everyone's suggestions above. Fantastic.
For the 9th, I like Abbado, either on DG with the CSO or on the Accentus BluRay with the Lucerne FO.

Quote:
I am considering this...the Bruno Walter Sony Master Series set includes two versions of the Titan, one with the New York Phil and also the one with the Columbia... I like Bruno Walter with Bruckner and Mozart... any thoughts on his Mahler Symphonies?
Walter's 2 and 9 are outstanding.

Bernstein's original NYPO #2 on Columbia and his last #6 with the VPO on DG are super-heated and overwhelming.

It never stops.