View Single Post
Old 11-23-2021, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
Has anyone watched any of the Danny Ritchey, of GR Research, videos posted on YouTube? Where people have sent in many different speakers to have him evaluate their construction quality and potentially upgrade them...
Yes. In the last video this week the VA Mozart (std non-grand version) lighter wood color speaker on the right belongs to a good friend. Two months prior, we upgraded the crossovers with mid grade $15-$20 caps during a repair, woofers had brand new voice coils and surrounds too. Sounded decent before he sent them in to GR, still seeking an even higher level result by a pro.

If you noticed, in both GR videos Danny was a bit perplexed as to why the std lower cost Mozart speaker on the right measured out much better and much flatter frequency response than the thousand dollar higher Grand model on the left. My friend did eventually let Danny know those were not original parts when he sent them in. Shows even mild parts upgrades can help some times.

Today my buddy just received several huge coils and Sonicaps and internal wiring in the GR upgrade kit. The crossover updates in the redesign and final test graph showed a dip removed at the low-high crossover point and now shows an even flatter and higher impedance than before the x-over redesign.

Hopefully this should work better with my friend's tube amp. It was a next level experiment to see what a reasonable cost redesign and parts upgrade might do.
Should know more soon.

Last edited by decooney; 11-23-2021 at 10:00 PM.