View Single Post
Old 08-28-2021, 02:32 PM

Isaac7 wrote "New Russian TungSol 7581a tubes slightly improved on the things that were important to me. a little better bass, little better guitar tone. Plus I felt comfortable using the 5ar4 with them for a bit more power. "

I haven't listened to the new 7581a tubes but four highly respected amp builders have told me that they love them. That they equal the quality of vintage 6L6GC and 7581a. Dave Gillespie has tested them and found that they meet all power specs and have very low distortion.

I have two quads of the new Genalex Gold Lion KT66, which are made in the same Russian factory but which are different. The GL KT66 draws 1.3A whereas the 7581a draws 0.9A and the internal construction differs.

I like the KT66 in my KT88 HO amp and even more in my PSE.

I would like to try the 7581a for at least a few minutes in my PSE to compare against the GL KT66, but I'm reluctant to drop $100+ for a quad when I'm not sure I would even like them as much.

Two people who have tried them all say that the new Tung-sol 7581a, KT66 (also 0.9A in the Tung-sol glass), and 6L6GC-STR all sound very similar.