View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Jerome...I am willing to bet that in part (a big part) the issue you were having was due to a mismatch of the Verdier SETs with your speakers. It's hard to say without seeing an impedance of the EB1is but as a 4ohm nominal speaker, I am willing to bet there are significant portions of the frequency spectrum where the speakers dip below 4 ohms. If I had to guess, there might be a dip in impedance in the portion of the midrange where you were getting tipped up sense to vocal timbres. SETs really like to see benign (i.e., 8 ohms and above) and flat impedance, and the Tannoys that Alberto and Serge have on hand present a much flatter and much easier load to their partnering amps. I am not sure what you were experiencing when you say with lesser quality recordings, the sonics were out of the game, but again it could be the overall timbral balance was tipped up because the EB1is in the bass and sections of the midrange were too tough a load on the Verdiers. Ofcourse I am guessing here because I have not been able to find an impedance curve for your speakers but I am willing to bet if you had Tannoys/Coincident/Merlin or any of a number of SET-friendly speakers on hand, you would have had a different take on the Verdier SET amps .

Serge...sorry for hijacking the thread.
Cyril,

I think that you are absolutely right !