View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 10:57 AM

In re-reading Puma's original post, i see that he did fiddle with speaker position to achieve the best balance between mid/highs and bass. I tend to focus on the mids first; if they are not right, I could care less how much 'bandwidth' the system has; as to amp/speaker combo, if the speaker was voiced for a 300B WE, that may be part of the answer too, but I have no idea how the particular amps being used would compare.
There is something absolutely effortless about high efficiency speaker and tube amps. It's not just the dynamics in a 'macro' sense. Way before you start hearing noticeable distortion or 'compression' the amp and speakers may already be pushed beyond their limits. So, the advantage of using a super efficient speaker is obvious. But Puma may be right that more bass control could result from a more powerful/different amp. Although I use SETs on my horns (which are in the neighborhood of 104db efficiency) and have an active woofer system (which creates a whole other set of issues in terms of integration), I have known people that used very powerful (tube) amps on these horns with great results.
Still like to know if you guys listened to vinyl on this system, though.
Best,