View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
I like the writing the style of Soundstage, less wine testing and more real audio language.

SoundStage! Hi-Fi | SoundStageHiFi.com | Ayre Acoustics AX-5 Integrated Amplifier
Good review. I just got the KX-5 / VX-5 and totally agree with this paragraph on the AX-5 from the review.

"Each morning, I wake very early and read the newspaper online as music plays in the background -- the rest of the family is still asleep, so I have to keep the volume quite low. With the AX-5, I could play music at volumes much lower than usual and enjoy it just as much as I do at higher levels -- especially helpful with classical music and jazz. However, still concerned that the sound was too loud, I often stepped out of the room and closed the door behind me. Although what I now heard through the closed door was barely audible, inside my listening room the music had seemed far from quiet -- something I can attribute only to the AX-5’s high sound quality at these new, lower SPLs. To my wife’s great relief, throughout the review period I listened at much lower volumes than I have in the past."

I too have a dedicated listening room and have to listen at low volumes at times. My girlfriend who lives with me is very sensitive to noise and prefers a quiet environment which is the very reason I set up a dedicated listening room on the first floor of my home. I also did this very exercise (prior to reading this review) concerned about the volume and was amazed how full and detailed the sound was at low volume settings in my room but could barely hear it on the 2nd floor and could not hear it on the 3rd floor.