Thread: Pioneer Elite
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 05:04 PM

Funny I see this thread today as I attended a Pioneer open house last night (at the Long Beach, CA, facility). The speakers were Chris Walker (Director of Product Planning) and Andrew Jones (famous speaker designer - TAD, KEF, etc.). We have been sworn to secrecy, so I can't divulge what we saw, but the news should be breaking out next week, so I'll talk about it then.

First, let me start with the big Newport Beach Audio Show a couple of weeks ago. Pioneer had set-up one room (right next to TAD) with a very simple set-up of an inexpensive integrated amplifier and a set of book shelf speakers. People would walk in and were impressed with the sound coming out of Pioneer speakers at a high-end audio show. Everyone's eyes came out of their sockets when they were told the speakers retailed for $129/pair! Andrew Jones has designed from the ground up some affordable entry level speakers that sound damn good for their price. I had no use for a pair, but bought some and thought I'd find a place. How can you NOT buy a pair for that price? This is by far the best set of speakers you can buy at even double to triple the price from any other manufacturer.

Knowing Andrew Jones had done such a great job, I was eager to attend last night and see what's up Pioneer's sleeve with Andrew Jones. It was an absolute pleasure meeting Andrew! Very down to earth and friendly guy! I learned quite a bit from him last night.

From what I saw last night, Pioneer is serious in taking a big leap forward. With the help and design of Andrew, they are making serious head-way in the beginners market who seek quality at an affordable price at places like Best Buy. Their new stuff puts them way ahead of the competition and in my opinion blows the other guys away.

In the Elite line, we did see a new product which I can't discuss. From what I saw, it made me wonder why everyone else was sleep at the wheel and no one has implemented some of these ideas. It's kinda like Apple coming out with the iPhone. Sorry I can't elaborate further.

And of course, there is TAD. The higher line of equipment that comes 2nd to none in the audio world.

I think the name Pioneer will gain more traction in the near future. Andrew Jones is doing a great job!

BTW, I do have an older Elite receiver in the closet as back-up. Since it has multi-channel inputs/outputs, it can be used either as a pre-amp or amp when needed.