View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 07:17 AM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Hi Jim,
interesting. I think you might be the fourth person to share with me using QS amps to bi-amp or try-amp electrostats or panels. Seems like a great use of QS amps. Sounds like good fun. And yet another benefit of running capable separates.

A local audiophile near me is putting his big Quicksilver V4s up for sale, downsizing situation required, and he used those to power large Magnepan 3.6Rs with great enjoyment for years and very complimentary of the synergy and sound.

I'm using my my QS mono 120s for my custom built main speakers which are a combination of electrostatic air motion mid-tweeters paired with dual nomex mid woofers. The tube power with dual KT150s per amp with the large transformers is almost on the edge of overkill since I listen at low volume mostly. I can run the bias at the low-end of the scale, tubes run cooler, it drops the sound stage back a bit which yields more of a triode type of sound which was a nice and unexpected surprise. I'm really starting to appreciate the adjustable bias as a benefit.

Achieving "the end game" is enviable. Good for you. Congratulations!

Sounds like you have a great system there. If I ever downsize I will go to QuickSilver Tube amps with adjustable bias in a simpler rig. The M60's and Mini Monos are auto bias designs and work wonderfully in my current set up.
Regards,
Jim