View Single Post
Old 03-24-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
For your Harbeths, I'd look at the new REL T7i.

I think will match and integrate most seamlessly with overall sonic signature of your Harbeths.

Harbeths are very, very carefully manufactured so that each driver is hand-selected to match with the other drivers in the cabinet *and* the drivers in the other, matching speaker. You want a sub that will fill out the lower octaves in a vrey natural way and integrate seamlessly with the lower mids and mids in a manner that the span of the tonal range from top to bottom is one of "whole cloth".

My guess is, as good the JLs are, their bass output might be "overpowering" relative to the very tightly integrated overall coherent presentation by the Harbeths. I think the RELs would be a better match and will integrate more coherently and seamlessly with the Harbeths, so that the "magic" of Harbeths is only enhanced and not "discordant". The fact they are 1/4th the cost ($3000 cheaper) of the JL doesn't hurt, either.

There's an excellent article here at Tone Audio: http://www.tonepublications.com/revi...t7i-subwoofer/
I was thinking along those line and considering a T9i, but when I went to the REL website I noticed they recommend tha S5 SHO, so I’m wondering if I need something that big to properly integrate or can I get good results with a smaller one.