View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver View Post
The LA4 arrived and has just started to make music! First impression is good.
Let me start with the preamp that the LA4 replaced. Audio by Van Alstine T10 RB tube preamp with phono section. I have been happy with this preamp for a couple of years. Not anymore.
Along with the LA4, I also purchased some Benchmark cables, and a AVA phono preamp. My sources are a CD player, and a turntable with a moving coil cartridge. A Benchmark DAC will be added later this year.
How does it sound? Awesome! The imaging in my system has been ok, nothing precise until now. The image now is almost palpable. It’s not just placement left to right, it’s also front to rear, and top to bottom. My musical preferences are Classical, Rock & Roll, and Big Band. It is now easy to place the horn section behind the strings. Along with more music coming thru, the texture of stringed instruments is exciting to hear.
With a remote, and the LA4 triggered to the Ahb2, there is no need to turn them on separately anymore. I also like the feature that remembers that the mute was on when I shut everything off. Have you ever started to play something and forget that the mute was not on after you switched the preamp on?
After setting it up with the touchscreen, no need to open the cabinet anymore.

Patrick