Thread: Sooloos Tips
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpowel View Post
Victor, thanks for the quick reply--and Masterlu for the welcome.

I'd be very surprised if this disc is HDCD encoded--self-produced by Scott Alarik with his own songs on it, called All That Is True. There's certainly no indication that it's HDCD, but it's not important. You've confirmed my assumption, anyway, that Sooloos just assigns a nominal Quality to each album based on some interpretation of bit depth and resolution cutoffs, yes? I'll probably want to tag to a more granular level anyway, like specifying 24x96 or SACD as source, etc.

I'm dismayed to hear that they are not providing any kind of viable migration path that includes access to the metadata that one must so laboriously collect, groom, and massage. That is one of the primary reasons I went with Sooloos--access to good metadata--along with interface and sound quality, of course. But having no long-term migration scenario is a bummer, imho.

I certainly like most everything else I've done with the system so far. I owned Qsonix and built a PC-based system in the past, but decided to go with Sooloos for the reasons mentioned above and REALLY like it so far.

Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry, Congrats on the Sooloos gear and welcome to AA!

I agree with your disappointment in the loss of metadata on migration. The additional information has become quite indispensable when searching through my classical data, mainly the 'Credits' field. I currently still maintain a purpose-built MacPro and looked to migrate a few new imports back over to it. 'No Joy!'

Reg
TT-2: JA Michelle Gyro SE, SME IV.Vi, Lyra Helikon Mono Cart, HR Power Supply
Phono Stage-1: Aesthetix Io Eclipse
Phono Stage-2: Channel D - Seta Model L
Server-1: Sooloos Control15 / 808.3 CDP / MD600 2x3TB / TwinStore 2x3TB / MS600
Server-2: Mac Pro (16G RAM), 2x3Ghz, Quad Core, 4 SSD Drives (Hirez, AIFF)
Software: Amarra 2.3/Amarra Vinyl/Pure Vinyl 3.0 NAS: NetGear READYNAS PRO (4Tb, ALAC)
ADC & DAC: Amarra Model 4 (Sonic Studio Badged: Metric Halo LIO-8 + DSP)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Stradavari (2) Sub's: JL Audio Fathom f113 (2)
Power: PS Audio PPP (4)
Isolation: HRS-MXR Racks (2), SRA Amp Stands (4), Sound Anchor Sub Stands (2)
Room Treatments:(Diffusion): RPG Hemiffusor W1 (Bass Absorption): RealTraps
Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6.0 XLR's & SC's, Silver Electra PC's