View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
My DirecTV service finally reached a price where I am no longer willing to be a subscriber, so today I canceled my DirecTV satellite service. I have subscribed to satellite television on my property since 1990 when the rural satellite provider here was Pegasus Satellite. DirecTV bought them out in 1996, and AT&T bought DirecTV last year. My satellite television bill was under $50.00 a month for years, then gradually began to creep upward with DirecTV. When AT&T bought DirecTV they immediately introduced price increases, and have since raised their monthly subscription twice again, once in December of last year, and again at the end of January of this year. My most recent bill was $161.18 for a month's satellite service. That is $1,934.16 a year. Nearly $2K a year for TV is ridiculous in my opinion, particularly since I am only interested in less than 10 channels of the 280 channels my plan includes. I got to thinking about it today and decided I just don't need any of their programming, so it's bye-bye, adios, arrivederci, au revoir, sayonara, and adieu to DirecTV.

I currently subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, and Prime for a grand total of $38.00 a month. That's all the television I'll ever need, especially since I am not a TV person to begin with. I can always install a digital antenna to receive the local television broadcasts out of Gainesville and Tallahassee, Florida, and Valdosta, Georgia if I wish to receive their channels. All those signals are broadcast in high definition over the air for free. My local weather and weather radar comes to me via the Internet, as does current events and world news. Screw AT&T DirecTV. They have lost a 29 year satellite television customer by pricing their product beyond its value to me.
Dan...I'm not sure what level package you had but my monthly DirecTV bill is $68.89. Mind you, I don't have any premium channels and I eliminated all sports channels which made a significant difference.

My main channels are TWC, TCM, PBS and occasionally the NASA and History Channels, which sadly doesn't have that much history anymore. (Don't get me started on A & E)

I also enjoy some of the music channels that I listen through my audio system, most of which have excellent sound quality.