View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 12:01 PM

"isolation" is a poor description of what Stillpoints actually do!

Placed under equipment chassis, they "wick" internal vibration away and dissipate this as heat, rather that "isolate" the equipment from external vibration.

Four are generally better than three and should be placed under vibrating components, such as transformers, in addition to placing to securely support the weight of the product.

In the case of the Ultra SS, hat making contact with the underside of the chassis is generally correct and the hat should always be loosened half a turn or so, for the Stillpoint to ave maximum effect. I found exceptions (my TW Acoustics Raven turntable has a trio of Ultra SS screwed into the underside of the chassis, with the hats pointing downwards.

I have Ultra 5's under my speakers and balanced PSU (on a Stillpoints Component Stand) and a quartet of Ultra 6's with Ultra Bases supporting my power amp.

As with the Ultra SS, slacken them off a bit on the screw thread and place under transformers etc, for maximum effect!

Substituting them for manufacturer's own feet or placing them in the same position (apart from speakers) is not necessarily a good idea.