Thread: Shindo Masseto
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 PM

Gentlemen, thank you!

I've been taking in the new sound and "flavor" of the Masseto for the last few hours and it is indeed an incredible preamp.

It is often said in the reviews that Shindo preamps give you "more of the good thing" as you move up the line. To my ears that doesn't do the Shindo components justice. Can one say that one wine over the other simply offers more? Can fine art be compared as saying one offers more than the other? Can one poet offer more over the other? It is a matter of taste my friends.

The Masseto struck me right away as having different flavor than the Monbrison, not simply "more"... The Masseto has a more complex, richer harmonic structure, even richer tone and body, it is a different "flavor" of delicious like Alberto would say.

I hear a stronger Telefunken "flavor" with the Masseto. I used to own a SET/OTL headphone amp that was tubed with Telefunkens (don't recall which ) that were provided to me by a friend who sourced them from Germany. I'll never forget those countless hours I spent listening to it. It was orgasmic! Have heard various Telefunkens since, nothing was quite like it. The Masseto immediately reminded me of much the same tone, body, richness and smoothness. Ahhhh....

The Masseto/Cortese once warmed up simply amazed me with it's smoothness, relaxed, inviting, seductive voice and even better holographic and palpable imaging. My system changed once again and no, it was not simply more. It was more in the sense that it was even more hauntingly real, the presence of the vocalists, the instruments, everything was fleshed out even better but to simply say that it is more would again not do it justice.

I think I understand why Ken Shindo names his creations after wine. To try to explain the difference along traditional hi fi terms would not get the message across. Just like fine wine, one must taste and decide if that particular flavor, the complexity, the bouquet, the body, is the one your palate and taste buds appreciate and agree with. I think one can probably appreciate the analogy of various fine wines better than any of the numbers and other cliche's like "Reference" this, "Evolution" that... "1000" this "2000" that... Because all Shindo products are special in their own way! Which flavor you prefer is up to individual taste.

All I can say is that my ears are really appreciating what I am hearing right now. The Masseto strikes my ears, my audiophile and music lover's palate and taste buds in all the right ways. The Masseto covers me from head to toe with goosebumps. Yes, this little green box is one serious goosebump making machine!

I was completely satisfied with the Monbrison but I needed to explore higher up the line or I would have not understood what the other Shindo flavors are like. I think I am starting to get it now and I am very happy with this particular upgrade.

Masseto is a rare and exclusive ‘Cru’, coming from a small vineyard of seven acres which bears the same name and which is known for its exceptional terroirs. A Merlot of great structure and longevity, production is severely limited due to an extremely rigorous selection and to the philosophy of excellence. One of the most sought after wines in the world, Masseto is frequently protagonist in the most important international auctions and constantly receives excellent ratings and unanimous consensus from the most important opinion leaders around the world.

While I can't uncork the real Masseto wine every night, I am certainly looking forward to uncorking this fine music making combo and enjoying the rich, complex taste and body every night!