View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Playing devil's advocate here......when you have or compare two state of the art systems such as these, what are the criteria to determine whether one system is plainly better than the other? I've listened to tons of state of the art systems at dealers and at shows and I've seen that when you reach a certain price point, it tends to be slightly different flavors rather than flat out "way better". I've also found (especially at shows) that it's sometimes hard to reconcile quanitity (i.e. extremely low bass) vs. quality. Anyway, I don't doubt that the XV system is up there in the top tier of state of the art but it's hard to believe that it would be "plainly" better than the comparable Wilson system.

- Buck
I agree. When I hear phrases like "plainly better" or "no comparison" with systems like these it makes me wonder if this is for real. There is no "best" speaker or amp etc, just different flavors at this level. But I will say that it is physically impossible for (8) 8.75" acoustic suspension woofers to remotely approach an XLF double Hammer system. I seriously doubt adding the dual driver 21" Invincibles could match two Hammers either. I note that Invincibles need 230 volts to get the 6,000 watts. I own a Hammer and it will move some air and at very low subsonic frequencies and you don't need any special wiring. The problem with all sealed subs including the dual driver 21" Yg Invincible is the resonance frequency of the cabinet and the massive power and cone excursion necessary to equalize the frequency response and create massive output an octave or two below below the resonance frequency of the cabinet. So if the resonance frequency of the cabinet is 50 Hz, then to produce 12.5 Hz you need over 100 times the power than at 50 Hz. So to produce the output of 10 watts at 50 Hz, assuming this is the resonance frequency, you need 10,000 watts at 12.5 Hz. That's why you need the 230 volts and 6,000 watts. You cannot get around the laws of physics.

Last edited by Charles; 06-22-2019 at 06:49 PM.