View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 10:53 PM
Vintage listener

Default Question for the Fuji X users

There seem to be a number of Fuji fans who frequent this site. I am looking for a new camera and I think it is going to be a Fuji.

I am having a difficult time making a decision between the X-Pro2 and the X-T2, but I hope to resolve that soon, so I can get on with taking some photos. Today, I am leaning toward the X-T2, but that could change.

My question involves a problem I have read about with Fuji X series, and possibly other brands of mirror-less digital cameras. The problem is seen when shooting into the sun, or another bright light source and shows up as just excessive flare - sometimes to the extent that the intended image is obscured. At other times, it kind of looks good - like an intended effect. It is known as 'red dots' or 'purple flare'. There are possibly other names, but those are the ones I know. The issue appears to be based on internal reflections either in the sensor or mounting. I may have some of the details wrong, but the problem appears to be real. My question is whether any of the Fuji users have seen this and how serious a problem it really is?

Like many of you, I have been very impressed with the quality of the images generated by Fuji cameras, especially the X series. I can probably live with the problem in exchange for the beautiful images, but I would like to know what I am getting in for.

Please... I am not trolling. I know ardent fans don't want to hear anything bad about their baby. I am looking for information before I spend money. Thanks, in advance for any positive responses.