View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
I agree with the above in that you need to always match the speakers to the room.

However, in my system and in my smallish room the difference between the Scala and the Maestro wasn't subtle - treble is much smoother, midrange is significantly clearer and bass is more controlled and less chubby (I had the V1 so may be less of an issue on V2) while also being subterranean on the right recordings (you feel like it's coming from below the floor as opposed to the speakers). However, the thing that I really wasn't ready for and one of the biggest selling points to me of the Maestros is that they are a single point source in terms of their sound - it's satisfyingly cohesive. I never felt that about the Scala.

Out of the entire Utopia floorstanding lineup, the Scala, while a fantastic speaker, is the one that has obvious areas for improvement in all facets. I expect that the EVO will be a marked improvement in all areas given what looks like a smoothed out treble, clearer midrange and tighter bass.

On the other hand, I'm not interested in (although I understand why Focal made the change and from a sales point of view it is absolutely the right decision) a downgraded 3 way Maestro EVO simply to make it easier to drive and compatible with a much wider range of partnering amplifiers (the Maestros currently need ridiculous amounts of power to open up).
great speakers, do you have a picture of how the speakers are set up in the room ?