Thread: Mp 1100
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msegal View Post
What a wonderful and thoughtful review. Thank you very much.
I really would like to check a MP1100 against my Aesthetix Rhea Eclipse. I have to convince my dealer to bring one in.
Definitely give it a trial first. I was real clear and upfront with my dealer that I was only about 50% sold on it before he shipped it out, with the understanding if I didn't like it, it was going back.

I went ahead and told him after a couple days that it was a keeper.

I continue to put it through its paces and it continues to improve with more hours on it. One thing, in my experience, it will not due is soften up a digitally sourced vinyl. But, it does not make it worse. I can remember when that became a popular proclamation by the usual suspect reviewers in the press: if you have a revealing system and there's a weak link in that system, such-and-such component or certainly the source will reveal your inadequacies. I'm not finding that to be the case.

For instance, I just spun the Tool Enigma album. I know it is from a digital source. It sounded better than it ever has; digital -yes, but better than I have heard it before tonight. The previously mentioned Guns 'n' Roses Chinese Democracy vinyl could not be improved. If a guy has a lot of these re-issues that are actually digitally sourced, I would say don't look for miracles. But it won't bring forth their deficiencies either, in my limited experience.

One other thing I haven't yet mentioned. In reviewing the owners manual I discovered you can disable are the digital circuitry inside the MP1100, the guts that would allow you to burn vinyl to your computer, etc. I went ahead and did that. I couldn't tell an immediate improvement in the process, but I figure it couldn't hurt. If I ever get the notion to burn a CD from a vinyl for my car or something, just a couple of clicks and it's reactivated.

Last edited by MisterBritt; 06-20-2017 at 12:36 AM.