Thread: Dac ?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 09:06 PM

Thumbs up I don't think you need to worry about software

Of course, it depends on what you want to do.

I don't have very much on a hard drive, though I do have some. When I want to play that I use the (probably not state of the art or even very good) Windows Media Player via the laptop I have connected for streaming.

One of my favorite discoveries after installing the Orchid in my system is the pleasure of streaming Spotify. It has allowed me - at 67 years of age - to continue to discover new music and explore the horizons, so to speak. It's easy. The music (since you control what you listen to and that, in turn, informs Spotify what kind of music or vibe you want more of) is great. The interface is a piece of cake and (importantly for me) has ZERO FRUSTRATION. It just works.
Analog sources: Garrard 401 in custom Baltic birch plinth, Jelco 850L 12" arm, Dynavector 17D3 into custom LCR phono stage, LP12 w/Ittok temporarily removed from system, Sony 2251/stock arm/Signet 33Ea into Plinius Jarrah phono stage, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2, Numark dj turntable for playing 78s
Digital: Old laptop streaming Spotify or Cambridge CXC into MHDT Orchid with Amperex 6DJ8 tube (via socket adapter), Naim CD 3.5 cd player
Preamp: Supratek Cortese with LCR
Power amplifiers: Audio Electronic Supply (AES) SE-1 300B SET, Quad 909
Speakers: Quad ESL 2805, JBL 4430 studio monitors (93 dB efficient, so they work well with the 300B amp)
Power: Goal Zero Yeti 1250 lead-acid battery generator, Core Power power cords into the amps, otherwise all stock power cables (Note: the Yeti has been a significant system upgrade)

What's next: maybe some new production 6SN7 tubes or some quasi-mesh TJ Full Music 300Bs in the SE-1.