View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 01:31 AM

Default GS150 and Ref. 6 install

Since the stock market has done well, I decided to spread some love. Went to the dealer and ordered GS150 and Ref. 6. While doing the order I also got talked into Transparent Audio interconnects.

A few weeks later the equipment arrived at the dealer. I let the dealer install the tubes and check bias. Last time I did this on Ref.150 I had to purchase Fluke meter. It appeared much simpler on the GS150. On Ref. 6 not much different from my old Ref. 5se.

I also installed the remote turn on (12v trigger) cable.

During installation and testing I turned off the system to do some cable changes and turned it on again only to hear pop! And I immediately knew I had blown the fuse. Next time remember to wait 5 minutes – mental note to self.

Other issue I ran in to is the fitting into the rack. GS150 is much deeper and wider than the equipments I have. So the rack will need a small mod.

A few days later, while I was playing real quiet music at night, the Amp and pre both turned off. Ok the auto shut off had kicked in. I instantly tuned on the pre only to hear that pop again.

Surprise was the GS150 turning off also turned off the Ref6! Reverse trigger?

So, so far I have blown that 7 amp. slow blow fuse twice – I guess this is the newbie threshold. I now have the auto turn off switch off.

I guess I will have go buy some more of these fuses – any suggestion on this?

Just sharing my experience. I am not very savvy at describing the sound quality – so I wont do it.

One question on the Transparent interconnects – I was told they have to “configure” the cables for the equipment it is connected to. Can someone shed some light on this?

Has some one else used Transparent cables and Audio Research gear?

Aurender A30 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Franco Serblin Accordo Essence + Pair of REL Carbon Special

Aurender A10 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Joseph Audio PERSPECTIVE2 Graphene

VPI 40th. Anniversary Direct Drive -> Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono

Aurender A10 -> Ref 6 -> GS150 > PMC Fact 12

McIntosh MCD500 -> C1100 - >MC452 > PMC Fact 12

Aurender A10 -> -> E470 > PMC Fact 12

Speakers: Monitor Audio PL200 , , Monitor Audio GX200
PMC Fact 12

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> Accuphase DC-37 -> Accuphase E-470 -> Monitor Audio GX200

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> MD108T Signature DAC -> Mcintosh C1100 ->McIntosh MC452 -> JBL 4344

Last edited by Banter; 03-24-2017 at 10:12 PM.