View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 08:49 AM

Will only speak for myself. IMO there is a distinct improvement in Shindo preamps as you move up the line. Detail, clarity and emotional impact have increased along the way. Given the trade in value it made sense to move up as finances allowed. I agree with Shindo that the preamp is the "heart of the music system". The preamp is where most of the Shindo magic is to me.

The Shindo amps do a wonderful job maximizing the tone of the output tube. My problem is I can't live with just one sound. I tend to have preferences based on the type of music I'm listening to. Which is why I'm very content owning one preamp but currently have many amps. Having a variety of sounds helps to keep the music hobby even more fresh and interesting to me.

I take all the "I've arrived" comments I hear from audiophiles with a grain of salt. Almost everyone writes glowing reviews about new equipment. I'm much more interested in their views a year down the line. That's when the bloom is off the rose a bit and perspective becomes more balanced. Why is it that so many people change equipment? I believe that part of it lies in the fact that no matter how wonderful your equipment is, you become used to that sound over time and often yearn for that new sound that mixes things up. My take after many decades in this hobby is that there is no absolute sound and that variety adds to my enjoyment.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion