Thread: Why ESL?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 04:32 PM

HI All,
First post here. Glad to meet you. I know this is an old thread but maybe I can add something useful.

I have have had nothing but panel speakers since about 1980. These included Acoustat's, Apogee's (really liked), and finally my current Martin Logan CLS IIA's which are my favorite's by far. I purchased them in 1990 and have no plans to change.

My electronics have gone through many changes over the years ranging from Acoustat, Mark Levinson and several generations of Audio Research. I finally settled on ARC's SP-11 Mk 2 preamp, ARC's D250 Mk 2 Servo power amp (250W per channel) and Aesthetix's Rhea all tube phono preamp. CLS's require absolutely first rate amplification.

CLS's are not perfect. As has been stated elsewhere in this thread they are bass shy, can lack dynamic range, and are brutal on amplifiers. But, if these things are fixed, I consider the CLS IIA's to be the best speaker I have heard.

The key to both dynamic range and base response are good sub woofers properly crossed over at the right frequency. Mine are mated with Kinnergetic's SW800 sub's which were specifically designed to work with the CLS IIA's. I have two of them powered by a Mark Levinson NO. 23 amp (400W/chan into the sub's 4 ohm load).

It's my view that the CLS is by far its best with good tube electronics. ARC's stuff is ideal due to their lack of coloration, power delivery, and detail.

All in all, I'm a very happy camper.

Sparky

Last edited by Karma16; 03-03-2013 at 02:37 PM.